» Contact Us
» Advertise With Us
» Newspaper Ads
Music Weekend: String Cheese Incident, Bobby Murray Band, TJ Kelly, more...
There's no Electric Forest festival in Rothbury again this year, so host band the String Cheese Incident provides a bit of flavor by streaming its performance from the 2011 edition at 8 p.m. Friday, June 4, as part of its monthly series of virtual "Classic Incidents." Better yet, it's free, via nugs.net.
Other events (all subject to change)
Live and In-Person:
• The Bobby Murray Band featuring vocalist Lenny Watkins will be back on stage for a free show at 7 p.m. Friday, June 4, in Kellogg Park, 726 W. Ann Arbor Trail, Plymouth; 734-455-6620 or ci.plymouth.mi.us.
• Sam Be Yourself headlines a hip-hop night on Friday, June 4, along with Jemille and others, at 7 p.m. Friday at the Cadieux Cafe, 4300 Cadieux Cafe, Detroit; 313-882-8560 or cadieuxcafe.com.
• Kevin Ranson and Blake Baxtor spin for Soulbox's "Deep" on Friday, June 4, at the Magic Bag, 4120 Woodward Ave. Doors at 9 p.m.; 313-833-9700 or majesticdetroit.com.
• Local country favorites TJ Kelly & the Loft Boys and Ryan Jay play at 7 p.m. Saturday, June 5, at the Diesel Concert Lounge, 33151 23 Mile Road, Chesterfield Township; 586-933-3503 or dieselconcerts.com.
• The Token Lounge hosts a night of tribute bands — Sabbath (Black Sabbath), Bloodstone (Judas Priest) and The Zoo (Scorpions) — at 7 p.m. Saturday, June 5, at 28949 Joy Road, Westland; 734-513-5030 or tokenlounge.com.
• Kawsan provides tunes in the Alley Deck at the Magic Stick in Detroit. Doors at 9:30 p.m.; 313-833-9700 or majesticdetroit.com.
• The Cadieux Cafe hosts a music doubleheader on Sunday, June 6 — DeadCentric and Mortal Soul at 2:30 p.m. and "T-Bone" Paxton with the RJ Spangler Band at 6:30 p.m. 313-882-8560 or cadieuxcafe.com.
• Terrapin Flyer pays tribute to the Grateful Dead at 4 p.m. Sunday, June 6, in the Parliament Room at Otus Supply, 345 E. Nine Mile Road, Ferndale. 248-291-6160 or otussupply.com.
Recommended Virtual Events:
• Guest conductor Kent Nagano leads the Detroit Symphony Orchestra through a virtual concert featuring pieces by Mozart, Britten and Arvo Part at 7:30 p.m. Friday, June 4 from Orchestra Hall. Tickets via dso.org. The pervious night's performance, featuring works by Schubert and Toshio Hosokawa, is also streaming via the site.
• Maroon 5 offers an encore performance of its American Express Unstaged performance at 9 p.m. Friday, June 4. Tickets via maroon5.live-now.com.
• El DeBarge celebrates his 59th birthday — a long way since those teen years with Motown — with a streaming show at 9 p.m. Friday, June 4, live from Hollywood, with a new single, "U I Die 4," and his greatest hits promised. Tickets via rollinglivestudios.com.
• Angelique Kidjo plays a Bandsintown Plus show at 9 p.m. Friday, June 4. Subscriptions via bandsintown.com.
• Bad Religion reprises its acclaimed "Decades" series starting at 5 p.m. Saturday, June 5, with four weekly episodes each dedicated to a different decade of the punk band's career. Tickets via nocapshows.com.
• Lake Street Dive begins a four-show series at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, June 5-6 from Lafayette, N.Y. The group plays again on June 10-11. Tickets via watch.mandolin.com.
• David Barrett Plays an Ark Family Room Series show at 8 p.m. Saturday, June 5. Free via Facebook Live, with contributions going to the artist and venue, theark.org.
• Watchhouse, formerly known as Mandolin Orange, plays at 8 p.m. Saturday, June 5, from Pelham, Tenn. The duo plays again at 8 p.m. Sunday, June 6. Tickets via watch.mandolin.com.
• Cassadee Pope, Rascal Flatts' Gary LeVox Rob Ickes and others are live from the Grande Ole Opry in Nashville at 9 p.m. Saturday, June 5, and again at midnight. Watch free via circleallaccess.com. For an interview with LeVox visit theoaklandpress.com/entertainment.
• Macy Gray is back for another virtual performance at 8 p.m. Sunday, June 6. Tickets via watchmandolin.com.
• Glenn Phillips plays Toad the Wet Sprocket's "Dulcinea" in its entirety at 8 p.m. Sunday, June 6. Tickets via stageit.com.
Send your thoughts and comments to