Broadway in Detroit is bringing down the curtain on 2020, with plans to resume staging shows again early next year.
The company -- which has already canceled runs of "Dear Evan Hansen," "The Color Purple" and "The Last Ship" -- has moved several productions slated for this year into next. Those include:
• "SUMMER: The Donna Summer Musical," from June 9-21 to Jan. 12-24 at the Fisher Theatre.
• "Ain't Too Proud: The Life and Times of The Temptations," from July 29-Aug. 9 to Jan. 27-Feb. 7 at the Detroit Opera House.
• "Beautiful: The Carole King Musical," from May 5-17 to May 4-9, 2021 at the Fisher Theatre.
• "The Band's Visit," from Oct. 28-Nov. 8 to June 9-20, 2021 at the Fisher Theatre.
• "Disney's Frozen," from Aug. 18-Sept. 6 to Sept. 8-19, 2021 at the Detroit Opera House.
• And "The Cher Show" has been removed from the subscription package and replaced by "An Officer & A Gentleman," with dates TBA.
There are reportedly other non-subscription shows that were slated for later this year but never announced and put on sale.
Subscription tickets for all of the rescheduled shows will be honored for the new dates. Individual show tickets have not yet been put on sale to the public. There's no word yet on how the Fisher and the Detroit Opera House might be affected by reduced capacities and other social distancing mandated by governments when theaters are allowed to be open.
Ticket reissues and refunds for "Beautiful" and "SUMMER" are detailed via BroadwayinDetroit.com or by calling 313-872-1000.
During April Broadway in Detroit Executive Director Alan Lichtenstein said that changing plans has been "incredibly complicated. We have shows that can't happen, and we don't know when they can. And then we have shows that are already booked and taking up space on the schedule, so finding places to put the other (shows) is a great challenge....There's a lot of juggling going on."
Broadway in Detroit has been shut down since the March 12 performances of "Fiddler on the Roof."
GO & DO Michigan, an Entertainment Portal http://www.goanddomichigan.com
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the written permission of the copyright holder.