» Contact Us
» Advertise With Us
» Newspaper Ads
Concert Weekend: Ann Arbor Folk Festival, Umphrey's McGee, Thrice, Poppy and more...
Nathaniel Rateliff, Calexico and Iron & Wine, Ingrid Michaelson, Michigan native Bettye LaVette and more will be part of the Ark's 43rd Annual Ann Arbor Folk Festival and fundraiser, 6:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Jan. 31-Feb. 1. in Hill Auditorium on the U-M campus. Willy Porter hosts both nights. Tickets $48-$110; 734-761-1818 or theark.org.
• Crashing Cairo returns to action with No Alarms and Michigan Left on Friday, Jan. 31, at the Crofoot Ballroom, 1 S. Saginaw St., Pontiac. Doors at 7 p.m. Tickets $12, 248-758-9770 or thecrofoot.com.
• The Detroit World Music "supergroup" Audio Birds will be joined by Gabrfiela da Silva at 8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 31, at 20 Front Street in Lake Orion. Tickets $20, 248-783-7105 or visit 20frontstreet.com.
• Armchair Boogie plays rootsy rock at 9:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 31, in the Parliament Room at Otus Supply, 345 E. Nine Mile Road, Ferndale. Tickets $12 advance, $15 at the door. Call 248-291-6160 or visit otussupply.com.
• Jam band scene favorites Umphrey's McGee performs Friday and Saturday, Jan. 31-Feb. 1, at the Fillmore Detroit, 2115 Woodward Ave. Doors at 7 p.m. Tickets $25-$39.50 at 313-061-5451 or thefillmoredetroit.com.
• The Detroit Symphony Orchestra presents pieces by Ravel, Mozart, Schumann and Alex Temple at three concerts through Saturday, Feb. 1, at Orchestra Hall, 3711 Woodward Ave., Detroit. Saturday's show will be webcast at 8 p.m. via dso.org/live. Tickets $15-$105; 313-576-5111 or dso.org.
• German DJ and Producer Paul Van Dyk spins at 9:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 1 at Elektricity, 15 S. Saginaw St., Pontiac. $25. 248-599-2212 or elektricitymusic.com.
• Singer-songwriter Kristen Kelly plays at 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 1, at 20 Front Street in Lake Orion. Tickets $20; 248-783-7105 or visit 20frontstreet.com.
• Modern rock troupe Thrice is joined by mewithoutyou, Drug Church and Holy Fawn on Saturday, Feb. 1, at Saint Andrews Hall, 431 E. Congress St., Detroit. Doors at 7 p.m. Tickets $23 and $50; 313-961-6358 or saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Boston electro-pop singer Poppy performs with Vowws on Saturday, Feb. 1, at the Majestic Theatre, 4140 Woodward Ave., Detroit. Doors at 6 p.m. Tickets are sold out. Info: 313-833-9700 or majesticdetroit.com.
• The danceable rock troupe Omega Moos presides over the official Umphrey's McGee After Party on Saturday, Feb. 1, at the Magic Stick, 4120 Woodward Ave., Detroit. Doors at 10:30 p.m. Tickets $17.50 advance, $25 day of show; 313-833-9700 or majesticdetroit.com.
• New York's Ross the Boss — whose Ross Friedman co-founded the Dictators and Manowar — headbangs on Saturday, Feb. 1, at the Token Lounge, 28949 Joy Road, Westland. Doors at 7 p.m. Tickets $25; 734-513-5030 or thetokenlounge.com.
• Kevin Cole joins the Detroit Symphony Orchestra for a "Positively Piano" concert at 3 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 2, at Orchestra Hall, 3711 Woodward Ave., Detroit. Tickets $24-$115; 313-576-5111 or dso.org.
• The Redford Theatre hosts a special showing of the Aretha Franklin concert documentary "Amazing Grace" with a live performance by the Mosaic Youth Theatre of Detroit before the film at 4 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 2. Redford Theatre is at 17360 Lahser Road, Detroit. Tickets $10; 313-537-2560 or redfordtheatre.com.
Send your thoughts and comments to