» Contact Us
» Advertise With Us
» Newspaper Ads
Concerts: Special holiday shows highlight weekend offerings
Olivia Millerschin, one of five local musicians in the inaugural TIDAL Unplugged program, plays a pair of "Christmas in Detroit" shows — at 7 and 9 p.m. — Saturday, Dec. 21, at 20 Front Street in Lake Orion. Tickets $20 at 248-783-7105 or visit 20frontstreet.com.
• Gasoline Gypsies, joined by Overdrive Orchestra and Brother Crunch, host a second Roots Rock Revolution fundraiser for Lighthouse Charities on Friday, Dec. 20, at the Parliament Room in Otus Supply, 345 E. Nine Mile Road, Ferndale. Doors at 8:30 p.m., $15 advance, $20 at the door. Toys and nonperishable food donations are encouraged.
• Stephen Kellogg and Tony Lucca make a potent singer-songwriter double bill at 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 20, at 20 Front St. in Lake Orion. Tickets $30; 248-783-7105 or visit 20frontstreet.com.
• Local covers band the Mega 80s holds its annual Ugly Sweater and Speedo Party on Friday, Dec. 20, at the Magic Bag, 22920 Woodward Ave., Ferndale. Doors at 8 p.m., $12, 248-544-1991 or themagicbag.com.
• Parmalee headlines Nash-FM's A Very Country Christmas on Friday, Dec. 20, at Saint Andrew's Hall, 431 E. Congress St., Detroit. Paulina Jayne, RJ Harper and Mac Watts also perform. Doors at 6:30 p.m. $23 and $45. 313-961-6358 or saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Ty Stone is special guest at the 17th annual Home for the Holidaze show benefitting Outcry Street Ministry and the Hater Kitty Rescue Army at 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 20, at PJ's Lager House, 1254 Michigan Ave., Detroit. Don "Doop" Duprie, Matt Dmits, Pat V., Alison Lewis and John Freeman also perform. It's $8 with a can of people or pet food or winter clothing item; 313-961-4668 or pjslagerhouse.com.
• Beer Grillz, Lucii, Somnium Sound and more spin at Parade of Lasers, firing on Friday, Dec. 20, at the Majestic Theatre, 4140 Woodward Ave., Detroit. Doors at 7 p.m., $18.75-$29.50, 313-833-9700 or majesticdetroit.com.
• J. Philip brings stacks of wax and decks of discs to the Magic Stick, 4120 Woodward Ave., on Friday, Dec. 20. Gettoblaster plays as well. Doors at 9:30 p.m., $15, 313-833-9700 or majesticdetroit.com.
• The RFD Boys play some preholiday bluegrass at 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 20, at the Ark, 316 S. Main St., Ann Arbor. Tickets $11, 734-761-1800 or theark.org.
• The Ben Daniels Band and the Crane Wives team up for a show at 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 21 at the Flagstar Strand Theatre, 12 N. Saginaw St., Pontiac. Tickets $20 and $18, flagstarstrandtheatrepontiac.com.
• The Polish Muslims celebrates its 38th anniversary with a show on Saturday, Dec. 21, in the Parliament Room at Otus Supply, Ferndale. The Redones open. Tickets $10 advance, $15 at the door; 248-291-6160 or otussupply.com.
• Modern rockers Michigan Left may be the right move to make on Saturday, Dec. 27, at the Loving Touch, 22634 Woodward Ave., Ferndale. Doors at 8 p.m. Tickets $8 at 248-820-5596 or thelovingtouchferndale.com.
• Hot Mulligan from the Upper Peninsula comes south to rock on Saturday, Dec. 21, in the Pike Room at the Crofoot, 1 S. Saginaw St., Pontiac. Fredo Disco, Mover Shaker and Forest Green also perform. Doors at 7 p.m., $20, 858-9333 or thecrofoot.com.
• The annual holiday rite that is Chip Davis and Mannheim Steamroller continues with the troupe's annual visit at 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 21, Fox Theatre, 2211 Woodward Ave., $30 and up; 313-471-7000 or 313Presents.com.
• Zoso — A Tribute to Led Zeppelin climbs the stairway to rock ’n’ roll heaven on Saturday, Dec. 21 at the Fillmore Detroit, 2115 Woodward Ave. Doors at 7 p.m. Tickets $15-$35 at 313-961-5451 or thefillmoredetroit.com.
• Suicide Machines, Esham, Anti-Flag, Mustard Plug and more celebrate Black Christmas on Saturday, Dec. 21, at the Majestic Theatre, Detroit. Doors at 6 p.m.; $30 advance, $35 day of show, 313-833-9700 or majesticdetroit.com.
• Montreal techno icon Tiga headlines Paxahau's Blue Ball 11 annual holiday party on Saturday, Dec. 21, at TV Lounge, 2548 Grand River Ave., Detroit. Mister Joshooa, ADMN and Gabi will also perform. Doors at 9 p.m.; $15, paxahau.com
• Derek St. Holmes, Jimmy McCarty's Mystery Train and the Reefermen play homegrown rock and blues on Saturday, Dec. 21, at the Token Lounge, 28949 Joy Road, Westland. Doors at 7 p.m., tickets $20 advance, $30 day of show; 734-513-5030 or thetokenlounge.com.
• Blackthorn brings Celtic tidings at 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 21, to the Ark in Ann Arbor. Tickets $20 at 734-761-1800 or theark.org.
• An array of performers — including Tony Frost, Bryan Pope, Christina Kateri, Grace Lee and Sam Van Wagoner — are teaming up for Christmas of Hope: A Benefit for the Bahamas at 6:30 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 22, at the Flagstar Strand Theatre, 12 N. Saginaw St., Pontiac. Organized by Michigan's Disaster Relief at Work (DRAW), proceeds will help residents of Sweetings Cay Island devastated by Hurricane Dorian. Tickets are $20 at flagstarstrandtheatrepontiac.com.
• Aretha -- The Queen of Soul, Live Concert Tribute pays homage to Ms. Franklin at 7:30 p.m. Sudnay, Dec. 22, at Sound Board in the MotorCity Casino Hotel, 2901 Grand River Ave., Detroit. $32-$45. 313-237-7711 or soundboarddetroit.com.
Send your thoughts and comments to