» Contact Us
» Advertise With Us
» Newspaper Ads
Concert Weekend: Commissioned, John 5, Illenium, Brett Lucas and more...
The Detroit-formed gospel supergroup Commissioned comes home as part of its Reunion Experience tour at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 1, at the Fox Theatre, 2211 Woodward Ave., Detroit. Tickets $25 and up; 313-471-7000 or 313Presents.com.
• Grosse Pointe-raised John 5 — guitar hero, songwriter and member of Rob Zombie's band — comes home to play Friday, Nov. 1, at the Token Lounge, 28997 Joy Road, Westland. Jared Nichols James and Reverend Jack open. Doors at 7 p.m. Tickets $25; 734-513-5030 or tokenlounge.com.
• The Bee Gees music is stayin' alive thanks to Bee Gees Gold, a tribute act playing at 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 1, at Andiamo Celebrity Showroom, 7096 E. 14 Mile Road, Warren. Tickets $28-$62; 586-268-3200 or andiamoitalia.com/showroom.
• Local singer and songwriter Carolyn Striho is launching "Detroit (Maiden Energy)," her new book of "street princess poems and lyrics" with a pair of weekend events. Striho will read, sign and perform at 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 1, at the River's Edge Gallery, 3024 Biddle Ave., Wyandotte; artattheedge.com. At 3 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 3, she'll be at Book Beat, 26010 Greenfield Road, Oak Park; thebookbeat.com/backroom/news. Both events are free.
• Long-lived Hershey, Pa., alt.rock quartet Blue Ocean rides a wave into Ferndale's Magic Bag, 22920 Woodward Ave., for a show Friday, Nov. 1. Doors at 8 p.m. Tickets $25; 248-544-1991 or themagicbag.com.
• Canadian singer-songwriter Chris "Old Man" Luedecke joins Aspen Jacobsen for a show at 8 p.m. Friday at 20 Front Street in Lake Orion. Tickets $18; 248-783-7105 or 20frontstreet.com.
• Major Dudes pays tribute to Steely Dan at 9:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 1 in the Parliament Room in Otus Supply, 345 E. Nine Mile Road, Ferndale. Tickets $10 advance, $12 day of show. Call 248-291-6160 or visit otussupply.com.
• Country stalwart Ryan Bingham plays with Jamestown Revival Friday, Nov. 1, at Saint Andrews Hall, 431 E. Congress, Detroit. Doors at 8 p.m. Tickets $33; 313-961-6358 or saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Pianist Joseph Palazzolo presents his "Warsaw Concerto," commemorating the 75th anniversary of the Warsaw Uprising, with music and stories passed down from participants. Violinist Sonia Lee joins Palazzolo at 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 1, at the Detroit Institute of Arts, 5200 Woodward Ave. Free with museum admission; 313-833-7900 or dia.org.
• Veteran and well-traveled singer-songwriter John Gorka is back at The Ark for an 8 p.m. show on Friday, Nov. 1. Tickets $20; 316 S. Main St., Ann Arbor. Call 734-761-1818 or visit theark.org.
• Local guitar hero Brett Lucas celebrates the release of his new album, "Soul and Courage," with a show at 9 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 2, in the Parliament Room in Otus Supply, Ferndale. Tosha Owens, releasing a new EP "Right Side of Love," is special guest. Tickets $15-$30 at 248-291-6160 or otussupply.com.
• Local favorite Sean Blackman brings his Harmonious Wail to 20 Front Street in Lake Orion for a show at 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 2. Tickets $20 at 248-783-7105 or 20frontstreet.com.
• Jason Alexander — "Seinfeld's" snarky George Costanza and a Tony Award winner in "Jerome Robbins' Broadway" — performs a pair of song and dance shows at 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 2, and 3 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 3 at Orchestra Hall, 3711 Woodward Ave., Detroit. Tickets $32-$120 at 313-576-5111 or dso.org.
• San Francisco MC Blimes Brixton joins Gifted Gab and Dave B. at 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 2, in the Underground @ DIME, 1265 Griswold St., Detroit. Tickets $17; 313-223-1600 or dime-detroit.com.
• Colors Worldwide presents an R&B Only "experience" Saturday, Nov. 2, at Saint Andrews Hall, Detroit Doors at 8:30 p.m. Tickets $29.99 and up at 313-961-6358 or saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Illenium brings his brand of EDM, with help from Dabin and William Black, on Saturday, Nov. 2, at the Masonic Temple, 500 Temple St., Detroit. Doors at 7 p.m. $59.50-$62. TheMasonic.com.
• Genre-blending Toro Y Moi and Channel Tres are on tap for a sold-out show Saturday, Nov. 2, at the Majestic Theatre, 4140 Woodward Ave., Detroit. Doors at 7 p.m.; 313-833-9700 or majesticdetroit.com.
• The LowDown Brass Band comes from Chicago to blast away at 7 and 9:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 2, at the Blue Llama Jazz Club, 314 S. Main St., Ann Arbor. Tickets $25-$45; 734-372-3200 or bluellamaclub.com.
• Jay Ungar and Molly Madison play at 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 2, at The Ark, Ann Arbor. Tickets $20 at 734-761-1818 or theark.org.
• Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox plays its jazzy versions of pop hits at 3 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 3, at the Macomb Center, 44575 Garfield Road, Clinton Township. Tickets $48.50-$64.50; 586-286-2222 or macombcenter.com.
• Legendary blues-rock, troupe Savoy Brown featuring Kim Simmonds plays Sunday, Nov. 3, at the Magic Bag, Ferndale. Doors at 8 p.m. Tickets $30 at 248-544-1991 or themagicbag.com.
• 4th Ave., formed by three contestants from ABC's "Boy Band," performs Sunday, Nov. 3, in the Pike Room at the Crofoot, 1 S. Saginaw St., Pontiac. Doors at 6 p.m. Call 248-858-9333 or visit thecrofoot.com.
• Dixon's Violin returns for a show with Reaiah True of Mystic Dub and spoken word artist Elene at 7 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 3, in the Parliament Room in Otus Supply, Ferndale. Tickets $12 at 248-291-6160 or otussupply.com.
• The Decatur, Ill., electro pop duo Icon For Hire rolls in for a show on Sunday, Nov. 3, at the Loving Touch, 222634 Woodward Ave., Ferndale. Doors at 6:30 p.m. Tickets $18-$79 at 248-820-5596 or thelovingtouchferndale.com.
• Canadian singer J.J. Wilde brings her Wilde Eyes/Steady Hands Tour to town Sunday, Nov. 3, at the Shelter, 431 E. Congress St., Detroit. Doors at 7 p.m. Tickets $12; 313-961-6358 or saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Americana couple Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison bring their repertoire to The Ark, Ann Arbor, at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 3. Tickets $20 at 734-761-1818 or theark.org.
Send your thoughts and comments to