» Contact Us
» Advertise With Us
» Newspaper Ads
Concert Weekend: MC50, Meek Mill and Future, Ted Nugent, festivals and more...
After three triumphant hometown shows last October, Wayne Kramer and his all-star MC50 kick out the jams again on Friday, Aug. 30, at Saint Andrew's Hall, 431 E. Congress St., Detroit. Doors at 8:30 p.m. Tickets $38 at 313-961-8137 or saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Arts, Beats & Eats hosts more than 200 acts — national headliners and locals — on nine stages from Friday through Sunday, Aug. 30-Sept. 2, in downtown Royal Oak. Entrance is $3-$7 depending on time of day, with VIP seating also available. Visit artsbeatseats.com.
• Some 57 acts playing on four stages, plus late-night jam sessions and a Talk Tent, are part of the 40th Annual Detroit Jazz Festival, Friday through Sunday, Aug. 30-Sept. 2, in downtown Detroit's Hart Plaza and Campus Martius Park. Admission is free; VIP packages are available. Visit detroitjazzfest.org.
• Saxophonist Dave Koz brings his Summer Horns troupe — this year featuring Gerald Albright, Rick Braun, Kenny Lattimore, Aubrey Logan and Adam Howley — back at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 30 to the Michigan Lottery Amphitheatre at Freedom Hill, 14900 Metropolitan Parkway at Schoenherr, Sterling Heights. Tickets are $49 and up; 313-471-7000 or 313Presents.com.
• The Little Mermen play Disney favorites on Friday, Aug. 30, at the Magic Bag, 22920 Woodward Ave, Ferndale. Doors at 8 p.m. Tickets $15; 248-544-1991 or themagicbag.com.
• The Waterford bluegrass quartet Birds of Prey performs a free show at 9:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 30, at the Parliament Room in Otus Supply, 345 E. Nine Mile Road, Ferndale; 248-291-6160 or otussupply.com.
• Rochester's own Trey Simon plays with Shey Rain & Signature Mistakes at 8 p.m. Friday, Aug. 30, at 20 Front Street in Lake Orion. Tickets $18; 248-783-7105 or 20frontstreet.com.
• Old School hip-hop hits Detroit this weekend with two nights of Return of the Legends, featuring Waka Flocka, Yung Joc and more on Friday, Aug. 30, and Erykah Badu, Goodie Mobb and Juvenile on Saturday, Aug. 31, at the Aretha Franklin Amphitheatre, 2600 Atwater St. at Chene. Both shows at 8 p.m. $36 and up; Saturday is sold out. Call 800-745-3000 or visit TheAretha.com.
• Former Brother Cane and Alice Cooper guitarist Damon Johnson rocks on Friday, Aug. 30, at the Token Lounge, 28949 Joy Road, Westland. Doors at 7 p.m. Tickets $20; 734-513-5030 or thetokenlounge.com.
• Ted Nugent turns the DTE Energy Music Theatre into a Motor City Madhouse at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31. Michael Austin opens. Tickets $25 and up; 313-471-7000 or 313Presents.com.
• Cincinnati's rootsy The Tillers play at 8 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31, at 20 Front Street in Lake Orion. Tickets $18; 248-783-7105 or 20frontstreet.com.
• More than 40 mostly local acts will play on two stages at this year's 40th annual Hamtramck Labor Day Festival from Saturday through Monday, Aug. 31-Sept. 3, on Jos Campeau Street in the city's downtown; hamtownfest.com.
• The Craig Brown Band, Ethan Daniel Davidson, the Drinkard Sisters, Universal Eye and more will perform from 4-11 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31, in the City Sculpture Garden, 955 W. Alexandrine St., Detroit. Admission is free. 248-722-3550.
• Things get scary with Steve Grimmett's Grim Reaper and Old James on Saturday, Aug. 31, at the Token Lounge, Westland. Doors at 7 p.m. Tickets $20; 734-513-5030 or thetokenlounge.com.
• Rappers Meek Mill — who recently closed a 2007 gun and drugs case — and Future bring their Legendary Nights Tour to the DTE Energy Music Theatre, with YG and Mustard also on the bill, at 7 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 1. Tickets $35 and up; 313-471-7000 or 313Presents.com.
• Jordan Lee brings the latest incarnation of his indie folk-pop troupe Mutual Benefit to town for a show Monday, Sept. 2, at PJ's Lager House, 1254 Michigan Ave., Detroit; $10 at 313-961-4668 or pjslagerhouse.com.
Send your thoughts and comments to