» Contact Us
» Advertise With Us
» Newspaper Ads
Concert Weekend: Hoedown, Charlie Wilson, Sinatra, New Found Glory and more...
Brantley Gilbert headlines the 37th 99.5 WYCD Hoedown show at 3 p.m. Saturday, June 15, at the DTE Energy Music Theatre, Sashabaw Road east of I-75, Independence Township. Joe Nichols, Caylee Hammack, Mac Watts and more will also perform, as well as a promised "surprise guest." Tickets $29.50 and up. Call 313-741-7000 or visit 313Presents.com.
• Singer-songwriters Pierce Pettis and Carly Bins perform at 8 p.m. Friday, June 14, at the Trinity House Theatre, 38840 W. Six Mile Road, Livonia. Tickets $18; 734-464-6302 or trinityhousetheatre.org.
• The Magic Bag in Ferndale hosts a pair of tribute acts this weekend. Carry On: A Tribute to CSNY plays Friday, June 14 ($12) while the all-female Lez Zeppelin rambles on on Saturday, June 15 ($25). Doors at 8 p.m. both nights. 248-544-1991 or themagicbag.com.
• The Denver ska-punk troupe Five Iron Frenzy plays with Pilfers on Friday, June 14, at the Loving Touch, 22634 Woodward Ave., Ferndale. Doors at 7 p.m. $25. 248-546-3696 or thelovingtouchferndale.com.
• You can follow the yellow brick road — or go over the rainbow, if you'd prefer — as the Detroit Symphony Orchestra Pops plays "The Wonderful Music of Oz" during four concerts Friday through Sunday, June 14-16, at Orchestra Hall, 3711 Woodward Ave., Detroit. $24-$115. 313-576-5111 or dso.org.
• Well-known Michigan musician Brad Phillips sets from his usual sideman role into the spotlight at 8 p.m. Friday, June 14, at The Ark, 316 S. Main St., Ann Arbor. $20. 734-761-1800 or theark.org.
• Local Americana mainstay Billy Brandt & the Sugarees celebrates the release of its new album, "Riverside," with a show at 8 p.m. Saturday, June 15, at the Trinity House Theatre, Livonia. Tickets $18; 734-464-6302 or trinityhousetheatre.org.
• Singer-songwriter Griffin House is joined by Brian Elmquist of the Lone Below for a show at 8 p.m. Friday, June 15, at 20 Front Street in Lake Orion. $30 at 248-783-7105 or 20frontstreet.com.
• Detroit's Prism Men's Choir presents Destination Detroit-Music That Put Us on the Map at 3 and 8 p.m. Saturday, June 15, at the Royal Oak Music Theatre, 318 W. Fourth St. The Detroit Children's Choir also performs. Tickets $27.50-$47.50 at 248-399-2980 or royaloakmusictheatre.com.
• Detroit's own Scrappers celebrates a new record release at 8:30 p.m. Saturday, June 15, in the Parliament Room at Otus Supply, 345 E. Nine Mile Road, Ferndale. Don Duprie and Early Jones also perform; $12, 248-291-6160 or otussupply.com.
• This month's PazMan Super Session pays tribute to the late Dr. John on Saturday, June 15, at O'Mara's Irish Pub, 2555 12 Mile Road, Berkley. Tickets $7, 248-399-6750 or omaras.net.
• Escaping Pavement and The Rough and Tumble join forces for The Diaries of a Traveling Musician at 8 p.m. Saturday, June 15, at 20 Front Street in Lake Orion. Carrie McFerrin guests. It's $15 at 248-783-7105 or 20frontstreet.com.
• Ol' Blue Eyes croons again as Detroit native Bob Anderson brings his "FRANK: The Man The Music" show back at 8 p.m. Saturday, June 15, to the Fox Theatre, 2211 Woodward Ave., Detroit. Tickets $55 and up, 313-471-7000 or 313Presents.com.
• Charlie Wilson plays a pair of shows at 8 p.m Saturday and Sunday, June 15-16, at the Aretha Franklin Amphitheatre, Chene at Atwater, Detroit. The Whispers open on Saturday, Lalah Hathaway on Sunday. The first 500 fathers to arrive will receive a Father's Day gift bag. Tickets $46 and up, 313-393-7128 or TheAretha.com.
• The late Tejano superstar Selena Quintanilla is remembered in Almost Selena, re-creating her final February 1995 concert at the Houston Astrodome on Saturday, June 15, at the Fillmore Detroit, 2115 Woodward Ave. Doors at 7 p.m.; $20-$45, 313-961-5451 or thefillmoredetroit.com.
• Moon Taxi and the War and Treaty opening Beacon Park's free summer concert series at 6:30 p.m. Saturday, June 15. The park is at Grand River and Cass avenues in downtown Detroit; DTEBeaconPark.com.
• The Disney cover band the Little Mermen play favorites from all the films on Saturday, June 15, at Saint Andrews Hall, 431 E. Congress St., Detroit; $12, 313-961-6358 or saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Konrad Lee, Rogue Satellites, Carjack and Twitch are part of the 4 Band Music Attack! taking place at 9 p.m. Saturday, June 15, at PJ's Lager House, 1254 Michigan Ave, Detroit; $6, 313-961-4668 or pjslagerhouse.com.
• The Kris Kurzawa Group is joined by Barbara Payton for a night of Led Zeppelin music at 9 p.m. Saturday, June 15, at the Cadieux Cafe, 4300 Cadieux Road, Detroit. Doors at 8 p.m. Call 313-882-8560 or visit cadieuxcafe.com.
• Award-winning Christian artist Fernando Ortega plays at 7 p.m. Saturday, June 15, at the Brighton Center for the Performing Arts, 7878 Brighton Road. Tickets $20-$100 at 810-299-4130 or brightonperformingarts.com
• Proud dads Don White, Bil Lepp and Bill Harley tell stories and sing songs during a Father's Daze show at 8 p.m. Saturday, June 15, at The Ark in Ann Arbor. Tickets $25 at 734-761-1800 or theark.org.
• Florida alt.rockers New Found Glory return for a show on Sunday, June 15, at Saint Andrew's Hall, Detroit. The Early November, Doll Skin and Real Friends also perform. Doors at 6 p.m., tickets $50, 313-961-6358 or saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Award-winning Americana multi-instrumentalist and educator Aaron Joshua Lewis brings his strings and things to Ann Arbor for a performance at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, June 15. Tickets $15 at 734-761-1800 or theark.org.
Send your thoughts and comments to