» Contact Us
» Advertise With Us
» Newspaper Ads
Concert Weekend: Aretha tribute, Postmodern Jukebox, Mummies, Jim McCarty and more...
The late Aretha Franklin gets her due again when the Motown Legends Gospel Choir — led by Joan Belgrave and featuring Thornetta Davis, the Undisputed Truth, Mark Scott, El Johnson and others — presents a tribute concert at 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 1, in the Detroit Film Theatre auditorium at the Detroit Institute of Arts, 5200 Woodward Ave. The Lisa McCall Dancers also perform. Free with museum admission. Call 313-833-7900 or visit dia.org.
• The tribute band Phluffhead at goes Phish-ing at 9:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 1, at Otus Supply, 345 E. Nine Mile Road, Ferndale. Tickets $15 advance, $20 day of show. Call 248-291-6160 or visit otussupply.com.
• Illinois rock duo the Cerny Brothers perform at 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 1, at 20 Front Street in Lake Orion. Ali McManus opens. Tickets $18, 248-783-7105 or 20frontstreet.com.
• Claudia Schmidt and Sally Rogers pair up for singer-songwriter special at 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 1, at the Trinity House Theatre, 38840 W. Six Mile Road, Livonia. Tickets $20; 734-464-6302 or trinityhousetheatre.org.
• Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox twists contemporary hits yet again on Friday, Feb. 1, at the Fillmore Detroit, 2115 Woodward Ave. Doors at 7 p.m. $25-$75. 313-961-5451 or thefillmoredetroit.com.
• The bandaged troupe Here Come the Mummies funk it up Friday, Feb. 1, at Saint Andrews Hall, 431 E. Congress, Detroit. Sun Stereo opens. Doors at 8:30 p.m. Tickets $20 and $50 at 313-961-6358 or saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Chicago rapper Mick Jenkins is joined by Kari Faux on Friday, Feb. 1, at the Shelter, 431 E. Congress, Detroit. Doors at 6 p.m. Tickets $22 at 313-961-6358 or saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Australian singer-songwriter Kasey Chambers comes to Ann Arbor on Saturday, Feb. 1, for a show at The Ark, 316 S. Main St. Carly Burruss opens. Tickets $25 at 734-761-1818 or theark.org.
• Chicago's J.D. Simo plays his brand of psychedelic blues rock at 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 2, at Callahan's Music Hall, 2105 South Blvd., Auburn Hills. Tickets $20 and $15 at 248-858-9508 or atcallahans.com.
• The Kris Kurzawa Group plays a night of Frank Zappa music at 9:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 2, at Otus Supply, Ferndale. Tickets $10 advance, $15 at the door, 248-291-6160 or otussupply.com.
• The Post Imperial Jazz Band parties at 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 2, at 20 Front Street in Lake Orion. Tickets $10 and $15, 248-783-7105 or 20frontstreet.com.
• May Erlewine performs at 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 2, at Trinity House Theatre in Livonia. Tickets $20, 734-464-6302 or trinityhousetheatre.org.
• The Arizona jam band Spafford plays Saturday, Feb. 2, at the Majestic Theatre, 4140 Woodward Ave., Detroit. Chirp opens. Doors at 8; $17.50 advance, $20 day of. Call 313-833-9700 or visit majesticdetroit.com.
• Jim McCarty's Mystery Train rolls out to Westland for a show on Saturday, Feb. 2, at the Token Lounge, 28997 Joy Road. Tckets $10 at 734-513-5030 or tokenlounge.com.
• Singer Emily King performs at 9 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 2, at El Club, 4114 Vernor Hwy., Detroit. Tickets $25-$89 at elclubdetroit.com.
• Americana acts Dead Horses and the Brother Brothers team up at 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 2, for a show at The Ark in Ann Arbor. Tickets $20; 734-761-1818 or theark.org.
Send your thoughts and comments to