» Contact Us
» Advertise With Us
» Newspaper Ads
Concert Weekend: GRiZ, Battlecross, Scotty McCreery, Richard Thompson and more...
Southfield-raised GRiZ's 12 Days of GRiZmas comes to an end with sold-out shows Friday and Saturday, Dec. 14-15, at the Masonic Temple, as well as GRiZmas Late Night parties at 11 p.m. both nights at the Majestic Complex, 4140 Woodward Ave., Detroit. Tickets are $20 advance, $25 day of show. Call 313-833-9700 or visit majesticdetroit.com.
• Detroit headbangers Battlecross play their sixth annual BattleChristmas show on Friday, Dec. 18, at the Token Lounge, 28949 Joy Road, Westland. Doors at 6 p.m. Tickets $15 at 734-513-5030 or visit tokenlounge.com.
• Singer and songwriter Shortly plays a hometown date on Friday, Dec. 14, at the Loving Touch, 22634 Woodward Ave., Ferndale. Doors at 7 p.m. Tickets $12 at 248-546-3696 or thelovingtouchferndale.com.
• Americana stalwart Stephen Kellogg brings an intimate acoustic show to 20 Front Street in Lake Orion at 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 14. Taylor Carson opens. Tickets $30 at 248-783-7105 or 20frontstreet.com.
• "American Idol" champ Scotty McCreery headlines A Very Country Christmas on Friday, Dec. 14, at Saint Andrews Hall, 431 E. Congress St., Detroit. Abby Anderson and Dylan Schneider also perform. Tickets are $23. 313-961-6358 or saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Guitar hero and songwriter Richard Thompson brings his Electric Trio to town Friday, Dec. 14, at the Majestic Theatre, 4140 Woodward Ave., Detroit. Logan Ledger opens. Doors at 8 p.m. $35 advance, $40 day of show. 313-833-9700 or majesticdetroit.com.
• Singer-songwriter Jenny Scheinman performs as part of a multimedia presentation of H. Lee Waters' film about the Depression era, "Kannapolis: A Moving Portrait," at 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 14 at the Detroit Institute of Arts, 5200 Woodward Ave. Free with museum admission. Call 313-833-9700 or visit dia.org.
• Americana duo Over the Rhine plays at 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 14, at the Ark, 316 S. Main St., Ann Arbor. Tickets $30 at 734-761-1800 or theark.org.
• Local music stalwart Alexander Zonjic showcases 11-year-old jazz prodigy Justin Schultz at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 15 at the Pontiac, Little Art Theatre, 47 N. Saginaw St., Pontiac. Tickets $25 at 844-478-4447 or ThePLAT.org.
• The Nick Moss Band wraps up a two-night run at 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 14, at Callahan's Music Hall, 2015 South Blvd., Auburn Hills. Tickets $25 and $20 at 248-858-9508 or atcallahans.com.
• The PRISM Men's Chorus delivers "Naughty & Nice: A Prism Holiday" on Saturday, Dec. 15 at the Royal Oak Music Theatre, 318 W. Fourth St. $25-$45. 248-399-2980 or royaloakmusictheatre.com.
• Detroit blues guitar hero Bobby Murray hosts a Blue-Xmas Party at 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 15, at Callahan's Music Hall, Auburn Hills. Tickets $20 and $15 at 248-858-9508 or atcallahans.com.
• Frankie Avalon sings hits of yore at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 15, at the Macomb Center, 44575 Garfield Road, Clinton Township. Tickets $50-$64 at 586-212-2222 or macombcenter.com.
• Local acts Escaping Pavement, Chris Degnore and Jason Dennie team up for two "An Evening of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young" shows at 6 and 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 15 at 20 Front Street in Lake Orion; $25 at 248-783-7105 or 20frontstreet.com.
• The tribute bands Tales of Cream and Carry On (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young) team up Saturday, Dec. 15, at the Magic Bag, 22920 Woodward Ave., Ferndale. Doors at 8 p.m.; $15 at 248-544-1991 or themagicbag.com.
• The Ann Arbor "funkgrass" troupe Back Forty plays with Fangs N Twang at 8:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 15, at Otus Supply, 345 E. Nine Mile Road, Ferndale. Tickets $10 advance, $15 at the door; 248-291-6160 or otussupply.com.
• Rare Earth and the '60s cover band Magic Bus blast back to the past on Saturday, Dec. 15, in Joy Manor 28999 Joy Road, Westland. Tickets are sold out. Call 734-513-5030 or visit tokenlounge.com.
• The Vibe Live featuring Alise King provides sounds at 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 15, at Aretha's Jazz Cafe in the Music Hall Center, 350 Madison Ave., Detroit. Tickets $10 at 313-887-8500 or musichall.org.
• Blackthorn plays Celtic favorites at 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 15, at the Ark, Ann Arbor; $20; 734-761-1800 or theark.org.
• Youthful Detroit rapper Brooklyn Queen plays a matinee on Sunday, Dec. 16, at Saint Andrew's Hall, Detroit. Doors at 2 p.m., $20 and $57, 313-961-6358 or saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• The Detroit Concert Choir performs a special holiday show at 3 p.m. Sunday at the Macomb Center, 44575 Garfield Road, Clinton Township, $10-$20, 586-212-2222 or macombcenter.com.
• Chip Davis brings his Mannheim Steamroller Christmas show for its annual visit at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 16, at Detroit's Fox Theatre. Tickets start at $30. Call 313-471-6611 or visit olympiaentertainment.com.
• Power pop artist John Brodeur, aka Bird streets, plays at 8 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 16, at the Outer Limits Lounge, 5507 Caniff, Hamtramck. Chris Richards & the Subtractions and Ryan Allen open. Tickets $5 at 313-368-8192 or outerlimitslounge.com.
• Vincent York's Jazzistry series celebrates 25 years with a special show at 4 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 16, at the Ark in Ann Arbor; $20 at 734-761-1800 or theark.org.
• A consortium of Detroit singer-songwriters — including Matt Dmits, Courntey Hurley, Brian Raleigh and others — presents the 16th Annual Home For the Holidaze Songwriter Showcase and Charity Drive at 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 14, at PJ's Lager House, 1254 Michigan Ave., Detroit. Admission is $5 with one can of pet or human food or some winter clothing, $6 without. Call 313-961-4668 or visit pjslagerhouse.com.
Send your thoughts and comments to