» Contact Us
» Advertise With Us
» Newspaper Ads
Concert Weekend: Jim McCarty, Maxwell, Thom Yorke, Steel Panther andmore...
Detroit Wheels, Rockets and Cactus veteran Jim McCarty celebrates the release of his latest album, "Talkin' To Myself," with two shows this weekend. McCarty and friends play at 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 30, at Callahan's Music Hall, 2015 South Blvd., Auburn Hills. Tickets are $15 and $20 at 248-858-9508 or atcallahans.com. McCarty then performs at 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 1, at Guy Hollerin's Ann Arbor Bar & Grill, 3600 Plymouth Road. Tickets are $5. Call 734-769-4323 or visit hiannarbor.com.
• Veteran blues-rock troupe Savoy Brown featuring Kim Simmons plays Friday, Nov. 30, at the Magic Bag, 22920 Woodward Ave., Ferndale. Doors at 8 p.m. Tickets $25; 248-544-1991 or themagicbag.com.
• The Manhattans featuring Gerald Alston and the Emotions make good on their postponed June 9 show at 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 30, at the Andiamo Celebrity Showroom, 7096 E. 14 Mile Road, Warren. Tickets are $30-$65; tickets for the original date will be honored. Call 586-268-3200 or visit andiamoitalia.com.
• Michigan's genre-hopping Rootstand plays a show with Joe Smith opening at 8:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 30, at the Parliament Room in Otus Supply, 345 E. Nine Mile Road, Ferndale. Tickets $10 advance, $12 at the door. Call 248-291-6160 or visit otussupply.com.
• The Detroit Symphony Orchestra celebrates the music of Warner Bros.' Looney Tunes cartoons with "Bugs Bunny at the Symphony II," Friday through Sunday, Nov. 30-Dec. 2, at Orchestra Hall, 3711 Woodward Ave., Detroit. Tickets $28-$100 at 313-576-5111 or dso.org.
• Ronan Harris brings the electronic sounds of VNV Nation to town Friday, Nov. 30, at Saint Andrews Hall 431 E. Congress St., Detroit. Holygram and the Rain Within open. Doors at 7 p.m. $33. 313-961-8137 or saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Chicago's Third Coast Percussion will perform a new score for the Academy Award-nominated adaptation of the children's book "Paddle to the Sea" at 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 30, and 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 1, at the Detroit Film Theatre in the Detroit Institute of Arts, 5200 Woodward Ave. Free with museum admission. Call 313-833-7900 or visit dia.org.
• A hard rock cadre of Atreyu, Memphis May Fire, Ice Nine Kills and Sleep Signals rattles the walls Friday, Nov. 30, at the Majestic Theatre, 4140 Woodward Ave. Doors at 6 p.m., tickets $25 advance, $30 day of show; 313-833-9700 or majesticdetroit.com.
• Chicago's hard-rocking Cave plays at 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 30, at PJ's Lager house, 1254 Michigan Ave., Detroit. Matthew Smith and Pato Y Pato are also on the bill. Tickets $10 advance, $12 day of show; 313-961-4668 or pjslagerhouse.com.
• '80s synth-pop favorites Book of Love dance into town Saturday, Dec. 1, at the Magic Bag, Ferndale. Doors at 8 p.m., tickets $25; 248-544-1991 or themagicbag.com.
• Upland Hills School music teacher Ted Strunk leads former students in an after School Band performance at 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 1, at 20 Front Street in Lake Orion. Call 248-783-7105 or visit 20frontstreet.com.
• Leigh Nash of Sixpence None the Richer performs at 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 1, at 20 Front Street in Lake Orion. The Bruised Reed opens. Tickets $25; 248-783-7105 or 20frontstreet.com.
• Big Ray & the Motor City Kings, Jason Bone & the Pocket Aces and Big Al's BLaK Dog play a Big 3 show at 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 1, at Callahan's Music Hall, Auburn Hills. Tickets are $20 and $15. Call 248-858-9508 or visit atcallahans.com.
• The Regrettes, Welles and Micky James rock on Saturday, Dec. 1, at the Loving Touch, 22634 Woodward Ave., Ferndale. Doors at 7 p.m. $15. 248-546-3696 or lovingtouchferndale.com.
• R&B stalwarts Maxwell and Marsha Ambrosius play at 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 1, at the Fox Theatre, 2211 Woodward Ave. Tickets start at $30.50; 313-471-7000 or 313Presents.com.
• It'll be guitar nirvana when the Marcus King Band plays Saturday, Dec. 1, at Saint Andrews Hall, Detroit. Ida Mae opens. Doors at 7 p.m., tickets $23 and $60. Call 313-961-8137 or visit saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Industrial heroes Ministry rock on Saturday, Dec. 1, at the Majestic Theatre, Detroit. Carpenter Brut and Alien Weaponry also play. Doors at 6:30 p.m., tickets $39.50 advance, $45 day of show; 313-833-9700 or majesticdetroit.com.
• Birds of Chicago fly in for a show Saturday, Dec. 1, at the Magic Stick, 4120 Woodward Ave., Detroit. Doors at 7:30 p.m. Admission free as part of Noel Night. Call 313-833-9700 or visit majesticdetroit.com.
• Jeremy Porter & the Tucos play their only Detroit show of the year and celebrate a new single on Saturday, Dec. 1, at PJ's Lager House, Detroit. Copper Thieves and Bryan Minks also perform. Doors at 8 p.m., tickets $8; 313-961-4668 or pjslagerhouse.com.
• JD McPherson and his band celebrate the season with a Christmas show at 9 p.m. Saturday at El Club, 4114 Vernor Hwy., Detroit. Doors at 9 p.m. Tickets $20; elclubdetroit.com.
• Miss Motley Crue? The Wreking Crue promises "the ultimate Motley Crue experience when it plays Saturday, Dec. 1, at the Token Lounge, 28949 Joy Road, Westland. Doors at 7 p.m., tickets $10-$35; 734-513-5030 or thetokenlounge.com.
• Hot Tuna plays an acoustic show at 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 1, at the Ark, 316 S. Main St., Ann Arbor. Tickets are sold out. Call 734-761-1800 or visit theark.org.
• Heavy rocking Underoath, back after a 2013 farewell tour, plays Sunday, Dec. 2, at the Royal Oak Music Theatre, 318 W. Fourth St. Doors at 6 p.m., tickets $29.50 advance, $35 day of show. Call 248-399-2980 or visit royaloakmusictheatre.com.
• Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke plays a sold-out solo show at 8:15 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 2, at the Masonic Temple. Oliver Coates opens. Call 313-832-7100 or visit themasonic.com.
• Jam-rockers Dispatch return for a show Sunday, Dec. 2, at Saint Andrews Hall, Detroit. Raye Zaragoza opens. Doors at 7 p.m. Tickets $53. Call 313-961-8137 or visit saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Staind frontman Aaron Lewis brings his country solo act incarnation to town at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 2, at Sound Board in the MotorCity Casino Hotel, 2901 Grand River Ave., Detroit. Tickets are $36-$45. Call 313-309-4700 or visit soundboarddetroit.com.
• Steel Panther brings some trashy metal joy to town, with Detroit's own Wilson opening, Sunday, Dec. 2, at the Fillmore Detroit, 2115 Woodward Ave. Doors at 7 p.m., tickets $10.10-$45 at 313-961-5451 or thefillmoredetroit.com.
Send your thoughts and comments to