» Contact Us
» Advertise With Us
» Newspaper Ads
Concert Weekend: KEM, Kenny Chesney, Shakira, Smashing Pumpkins and more...
Detroit's own KEM is at home this weekend for a pair of shows, 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Aug. 3-4, at the Chene Park Amphitheatre, 2600 E. Atwater, Detroit. Tamar Braxton opens on Friday, India.Arie on Saturday. Tickets are $41-$76. Call 800-745-3000 or visit cheneparkdetroit.com.
• Starship plays this week's Rockin' on the Riverfront series at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 3, behind the GM Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit. Admission is free. Visit gmrencen.com/rockinontheriverfront.
• It'll be a purr-fect night for rock fans as Faster Pussycat and Paradise Kitty, an all-female Guns N' Roses tribute Band, play Friday, Aug. 3, at the Token Lounge, 28949 Joy Road, Westland. Doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets are $25. Call 734-513-5030 or visit thetokenlounge.com.
* Hitmaking singer-songwriter Lori McKenna, with Whitney Fenimore opening, performs Friday, Aug. 3, at The Ark, 316 S. Main St., Ann Arbor Tickets are $25. Call 734-761-1800 or visit theark.org
• After postponing her January show, Shakira brings her El Dorado World Tour to Detroit's Little Caesars Arena at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 4. Tickets start at $40.50, and those for the original date will be honored. Call 313-471-7000 or visit 313Presents.com.
• Country star Kenny Chesney brings his Trip Around The Sun Tour, with Thomas Rhett and Old Dominion, to town at 5 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 4, at Ford Field, 2000 Brush St., Detroit. Tickets are $108-$259. Call 313-262-2222 or visit fordfield.com.
• Americana rockers the Old 97's perform Saturday, Aug. 4, at the Magic Bag, 22920 Woodward Ave., Ferndale. Pedigo's Magic Pilsner also performs. Doors open at 8 p.m. Tickets are $25. Call 248-544-1991 or visit the magicbag.com.
• Grace Lee, Joshua Korn and Autumn Anderson play a pair of Songwriters Round shows, at 3 and 8 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 4, at 20 Front Street in Lake Orion. Tickets are $15 for each. Call 248-783-7105 or visit 20frontstreet.com.
• The Detroit All-Star Garage Rock Punk Revue, featuring reunions by the Hysteric Narcotics, the Motor Dolls and the Algebra Mothers, the final performance of Jerry Vile and his band and more takes place at 8 p.m. Saturday, April 4, at the Tangent Gallery, 715 E. Milwaukee, Detroit. Tickets are $20. Call 313-873-2955 or visit tangentgallery.com.
• Detroit singer-songwriter Natalie Lucassian celebrates the release of a new EP with a show on Saturday, Aug. 4, at the Magic Stick, 4120 Woodward Ave., Detroit. Steppes and Jack McCarthur will also perform. Doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10 advance, $15 day of show.
• Rapper Yelawolf plays a pair of shows with Waylon & Willie on Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 4-5, at Saint Andrews Hall, 431 E. Congress St., Detroit. Doors open at 7 p.m. both nights. Tickets are $29.72-$59, available for Sunday only. Call 313-961-8137 or visit saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Marsha Ambrosius, Oleta Adams, the Ohio Players and more will be part of the 23rd Annual Jazz on the River taking place Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 4-5, in Trenton's Elizabeth Park, 4461 Elizabeth Drive. Music starts at 1 p.m. each day. Admission is free, with a $5 suggested donation to for parking. Call 734-261-1990 or visit zonjic.com.
• "American Idol" finalist Josh Gracin plays a free concert at 7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 4, for the Walk the Plank festival benefiting families facing cancer. The event, which starts at 2 p.m., takes place at St. Peter Lutheran Church and School, 17051 24 Mile Road, Macomb. Visit RockthePlanklive.com.
• Smashing Pumpkins, featuring three of four original members, plays at 8 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 5, at Detroit's Little Caesars Arena. Tickets start at $29. Call 313-471-7000 or visit 313Presents.com.
Send your thoughts and comments to