» Contact Us
» Advertise With Us
» Newspaper Ads
Concert Weekend: The Roots and Common, Mo Pop, Jason Mraz, Billy Bob Thornton and more...
The Roots take a break from NBC’s “Tonight” show to join forces with rapper Common for a show at 8 p.m. Friday, July 27, at Chene Park Amphitheatre, 2600 E. Atwater, Detroit. Tickets are $41-$66. Call 800-745-3000 or visit cheneparkdetroit.com.
• Coheed and Cambria, Taking Back Sunday and The Story So Far rock hard at 6:30 p.m. Friday, July 27, in the Michigan Lottery Amphitheatre at Freedom Hill, 14900 Metropolitan Pkwy. at Schoenherr, Sterling Heights. Tickets start at $29.50. Call 313-471-7000 or visit 313Presents.com.
• Canada’s Acrobat brings its U2 tribute show to Ferndale on Friday, Sept. 27, at the Magic Bag, 22920 Woodward Ave. Doors open at 8 p.m. Tickets are $12. Call 248-544-1991 or visit themagicbag.com.
• The Kris Kurzawa Group plays The Music of Led Zeppelin on Friday, July 27, with vocalist Barbara Payton at Black Lotus Brewing Col, 1 E. 14 Mile Road, Clawson. Doors open at 8 p.m. Admission is $10. Call 248-577-1878 or visit blacklotusbrewery.com.
• Colors presents an R&B Only show with Dauche and Jabari on Friday, Sept. 27, at Saint Andrews Hall, 431 E. Congress St., Detroit. Doors open at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $29-$60. Call 313-961-6358 or visit saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Steppenwolf will take a “Magic Carpet Ride” for this week’s Rockin’ on the Riverfront series at 7:30 p.m. Friday, July 13, behind the GM Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit. Admission is free. Visit gmrencen.com/rockinontheriverfront/.
• Denney, Sonya Alverez and Mona Black spin at 9:30 p.m. Friday, July 27, on the Alley Deck at the Majestic complex, 4120 Woodward Ave., Detroit. Admission is free before 112 p.m. with an RSVP. Call 313-833-9700 or visit majesticdetroit.com.
• Jason Mraz and Brett Dennen bring Good Vibes to town at 8 p.m. Saturday, July 28, at the Meadow Brook Amphitheatre on the campus of Oakland University, Rochester Hills. Tickets start at $25. Call 313-471-7000 or visit 313Presents.com.
• The Alarm featuring Mike Peters takes “The Stand” once again, playing Saturday, July 28, at the Magic Bag in Ferndale. Tickets are $28. Call 248-544-1991 or visit themagicbag.com.
• A variety of local artists, including host Jere Stormer, Bill Grogan’s Goat, Luti & the Whistelbowers and more play the Rock The Clinic Benefit for the Fern Care Clinic on Saturday, July 28, at the New Way Bar, 23130 Woodward Ave., Ferndale. Doors open at 7 p.m. Donations will be taken at the door. Call 248-541-9870 or visit newwaybar.com.
• Singer-songwriters Mary McGuire, Barbara Payton and Carolyn Striho combine for A Midsummer Night’s Dream Concert at 8 p.m. Saturday, July 28, at 20 Front Street in Lake Orion. Tickets are $20. Call 248-783-7105 or visit 20frontstreet.com.
• Detroit’s own Romantics are part of a Lost ’80s Live bill that also includes A Flock of Seagulls, Wang Chung, Naked Eyes and more at 8 p.m. Saturday, July 28, at Chene Park Amphitheatre. Tickets are $35. Call 800-745-3000 or visit cheneparkdetroit.com.
• Detroit’s West Riverfront Park will be rockin’ once again with the annual Mo Pop Festival, with 22 acts on two stages — including Bon Iver, the National, St. Vincent, Portugal. The Man, Vince Staples and more — along with plenty of interactive experiences, food and drink. Tickets are $95-$520. Visit mopopfestival.com for all the details.
• Vezzo & Friends play a hip-hop Heart of the City Festival on Saturday, July 28, at Saint Andrews Hall, Detroit. Doors open at 10:30 p.m. Tickets are sold out. Call 313-961-6358 or visit saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• The husband-wife team Us The Duo and Justin Nokuza get folkish on Saturday, July 28, at the Shelter, 431 E. Congress St., Detroit. Doors open at 7 +p.m. Tickets are $25. Call 313-961-6358 or visit saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Billy Bob Thornton steps out of acting and back into music with his rootsy band the Boxmasters on Sunday, July 29, at the Crofoot Ballroom, 1 S. Saginaw St., Pontiac. Doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets are $30 advance, $35 day of show. Call 248-858-9333 or visit thecrofoot.com.
• Ben Harper and Charlie Musselwhite are together again for a bluesy night on Sunday, July 29, at Saint Andrews Hall, Detroit. Tickets are $50.29. Call 313-961-6358 or visit saintandrewsdetroit.com.
Send your thoughts and comments to