» Contact Us
» Advertise With Us
» Newspaper Ads
Chris Tomlin at DTE, 3 Things To Know
Christian artists don’t come much bigger or more accomplished than Chris Tomlin.
During the past 25 years, the Texas-born singer, songwriter and worship leader has sold more than eight million albums and 11.3 million digital tracks. He’s notched 16 No. 1 singles on Billboard’s Christian charts and has won 21 Dove Awards and an American Music Award. His last six albums have debuted at No. 1, while 2013’s “Burning Lights” also hit No. 1 on the Billboard 200 -- only the fourth Christian Contemporary album to accomplish that feat.
The spring finds Tomlin, 46, in the midst of a Worship Night In America tour, bringing both pop and praise to stages around the country...
• Tomlin says by phone that the WNIA tour has been “so special and very different than any tour I’ve done before,” primarily because he and the other artists on the bill are sharing the stage rather than performing individual sets. “”We’re all up there together at the same time, the whole night,” he reports.”The heart and theme of Worship Night In America is really unity, the streams of the church together as one in unity, and it starts with the stage and with the artists. I’ve never seen a tour like this.”
• In conjunction with the tour, Tomlin has also released a new single, “Resurrection Power,” which hit Top 10 on the Christian charts. “I felt like we needed to sing this and we needed to be reminded of this,” Tomlin says. “It’s reminding people (resurrection) is what’s true about the Christian faith, why there’s even a church to begin with. It gets back to the foundations of everything and reminds us of the foundation of faith, which is that you’ve been made alive. Scripture says we’re brought from death to life; The same power that raised Jesus from the dead is alive in you, the resurrecting power of God. It’s addiction-breaking power, marriage-saving power. I don’t wake up every morning when my feet hit the ground thinking, ‘I’ve got the resurrection power of God,’ but this is what’s true.”
• Tomlin is also working on his next album, the follow-up to 2016’s “Never Lose Sight.” “I’m working on it as we speak, getting close to being finished,” says Tomlin, who hopes to release it during the fall. “I’m always trying to write songs that really connect people with God, give voice to people who worship God and give them a voice to connect with the Lord. I’ve never strayed from that. I love when people have a good time with (the music), but the greatest thing for me is when people really feel like they connect with the Lord and can express their gratitude to God, so I always try to write songs in that way.”
If You Go
• Chris Tomlin presents Worship Night In America with Kim Walker Smith, Matt Maher, Christine O’Clario, Tauren Wells and Pat Barrett
• 7 p.m. Thursday, May 10.
• DTE Energy Music Theatre, Sashabaw Road east of I-75, Independence Township
• Tickets are $15-$129.75 pavilion, $15 lawn.
• Call 313-471-7000 or visit 313Presents.com.
Send your thoughts and comments to