» Contact Us
» Advertise With Us
» Newspaper Ads
Kick at the Magic Bag, 3 things To Know
INXS has been effectively gone since 2012. But Cory Massi and KICK -- The INXS Experience is making sure the Australian group isn’t forgotten.
Massi, 47, auditioned to replace the group’s late frontman Michael Hutchence on the 2004 reality TV show “Rockstar: INXS,” and about four years ago he decided there was an opening for an INXS tribute band. The group has become popular around the country, playing a 90-minute show that includes INXS’ biggest hits and also deeper catalog tracks.
The gig schedule has only gotten busier, too, and Massi and company are enjoying making a, er, new sensation out of an old favorite...
• Massi says by phone he was inspired to start Kick after seeing an Aerosmith tribute band perform in Myrtle Beach, S.C. “I thought, ‘Wow, I should do something like this’,” he says. “I always liked INXS; They’re not my favorite band in the world, but I liked it and it’s just real fun music. It didn’t seem like something that had been overdone in tributeland. It was just a fun idea that has grown a bit.”
• Massi was invited to audition for “Rockstar: INXS” by a member of the show’s staff. “I went in thinking that I could do it,” he recalls. “I have a similar kind of singing style. Going further back I’m a big fan of the Doors, and I always thought Michal Hutchence was a sort of Jim Morrison, but in more of a pop light. I didn’t get it, but it was a good experience and I liked learning those songs.”
• Since starting, Massi and KICK have learned there’s still a substantial appetite for INXS music even six years after the band itself became inactive. “I didn’t know myself that they affected so many people,” Massi says. “I’ve seen grown men weep, believe it or not. It really strikes a chord with people that really were in love with them back in the day. We’ve had people come to see us and if we do another gig six, eight, 12 hours away they pop up. It’s really flattering. At this point in the year we’ve already done the same amount of gigs we’ve normally done in a full year.”
If You Go:
• KICK -- The INXS Experience
• Friday, April 13. Doors open at 8 p.m.
• The Magic Bag, 22920 Woodward Ave., Ferndale.
• Tickets are $15.
• Call 248-544-1991 or visit themagicbag.com.
Send your thoughts and comments to