» Contact Us
» Advertise With Us
» Newspaper Ads
Jackyl at the Michigan Lottery Amphitheatre, 3 Things To Know
It’s been 25 years of chainsaw-wielding craziness for Jesse James Dupree and Jackyl.
The group roared -- quite literally -- out of Georgia during 1992 with a debut album that sold platinum and gave the Southern rock troupe its signature song, “The Lumberjack,” and displayed Dupree’s mastery of the chainsaw as a musical instrument. The journey has continued for seven more albums and is celebrated on the new “25” collection, while Dupree, 54, has also carved out a side career hosting the “Full Throttle Saloon” television show as well as a line of Jesse James Spirits.
• James says that Jackyl’s first quarter-century has gone by “really quick. It’s the blink of an eye and here we are. You can only hope it last this long. I think we’ve kind of proven to each other (in the band) that we’re thick as thieves. The one thing we just always want to do is play live. The recording’s fun, the other stuff is OK, but the live show is what counts.”
• The chainsaw, meanwhile, will always remain a staple of Jacky’s act. “What more definitive instrument for rock ‘n’ roll is there?” Dupree asks by phone from Sturgis, S.D. “It’s loud, aggressive, abrasive, skanky -- everything rock ‘n’ roll should be. Above all else, it’s something that works. Fans embrace it like make-up with Kiss, Eddie with Iron Maiden...”
• Jackyl has set a pair of Guinness world records during its career -- for playing 100 concerts in 50 days, and for performing 21 concerts during a 24-hour period. “I’m glad we did it,” Dupree says. “I don’t want to do it again. They were really grueling tasks. But we accomplished it, and I can say I got a plaque on the wall that says I’m a Guinness book world record holder.”
If You Go
• Ted Nugent and Jackyl
• 7:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 25.
• Michigan Lottery Amphitheatre at Freedom Hill, 14900 Metropolitan Parkway, Sterling Heights.
• Tickets are $25-$99.50 pavilion, $25 lawn.
• Call 248-377-0100 or visit palacenet.com.
Send your thoughts and comments to