» Contact Us
» Advertise With Us
» Newspaper Ads
Mike Posner at Saint Andrews, 5 Things To Know
Mike Posner is coming home this week with a head full of steam.
Part of the momentum comes from the Southfield native and Birmingham Groves High School alumnus’ sophomore album, “At Night, Alone,” came out last May after a six-year wait and scored a Grammy Award nomination for the single “I Took A Pill In Ibiza.” Posner followed that with the March publication of his first book of poetry, “Tear Drops And Balloons,” and the debut of Mansionz, his group with blackbear, with whom Posner co-wrote Justin Bieber’s hit “Boyfriend.”
This spring he’s on tour with his first full-band shows in several years, and Posner promises that there’s more coming sooner rather than later...
Related: Mike Posner turns poet with release of first book
• Posner, 29, says by phone that he’s happy to be back on the road, with a full band again. “It’s really exciting because I haven’t done a tour since I released the last album,” he notes. “It’s been a long time in the waiting, but the band and I are really just starting to kick into gear. We’ve got a lot of ideas, old songs we’re going to bring back we haven’t played in a long time, some new ones as well. We’re just excited.”
• He’s played other home town venues in the past -- including the Fillmore Detroit, the Palace and the City Theatre -- but Posner has a some personal history with Saint Andrews Hall. “I’ve always been like, ‘I’ve gotta do Saint Andrews,’” he says. “I remember seeing Talib Kweli there, Dilated Peoples. Evidence passed me a joint off the stage when I’m 17. I’ve got a lot of good memories from that place.”
• While the Grammy nomination was for Posner’s own “I Took A Pill For Ibiza” for Song of the Year, he walked the red carpet with Mansionz collaborator blackbear, both in dyed green hair and cavorting in a manner decidedly different than most of their compatriots to promote their debut album that came out in March. “It was a blast, so fun,” Posner recalls. “We do interviews and things like that a little differently. It’s not the most reverent thing in the world. We had a lot of fun. We both have our own careers, so (the Grammys) was sort of a symbol of our commitment to the project.” So far Mansionz has no tour plans to promote the album.
• Of Mansionz, Posner says that he and blackbear have “been making music together for years. One of the first songs we wrote together became a song for Justin Bieber, ‘Boyfriend,’ and we just started to have really good chemistry. As our solo careers progressed I think we both became bigger fans of each other and I just texted him 18 months ago and said, ‘Hey, we should do an album together.’ He really wanted to, so we rented a cabin in Lake Arrowhead and made a record.”
• Because he’s “always working on stuff,” Posner has already started gathering material for another album and doesn’t think we’ll see another six-year interim like we did before “At Night, Alone.” “I definitely have my next album done. I’m working on the one after that now,” he says. “This is the year of stuff coming out. I feel the most inspired I’ve ever been. I didn’t realize it was possible for me to do tours and shows and also be finishing albums so quickly -- and a book, too. It’s all just coming out of me right now, so I’m just going with it and not asking questions, y’know?”
If You Go:
• Mike Posner
• Tuesday, May 2. Doors open at 7 p.m.
• Saint Andrews Hall, 431 E. Congress St., Detroit.
• Tickets are sold out.
• Call 313-961-6358 or visit saintandrewsdetroit.com.
Send your thoughts and comments to